- Comply with all required regulations and licenses
- Good and easy-to-use welcome offer
- Good number of promotions for repeat customers
- Large range of live streaming
- Large number of bet types
- Sports selection is good but market depth doesn’t compare to bigger bookies
- Gaming products and casino not quite good enough for sportsbook
- In-play betting markets could be improved
- Odds are generally low
- Not enough payment methods
Name: Betfred Group
Owner and License Holder: Fred Done/ Petfre (Gibraltar) Limited
Year established: 1967
Online Since: 2004
Jurisdiction: United Kingdom
Head Office Address: 5.2 Waterport Place 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar
Country restrictions: Restricted to UK
In 1967, Betfred started as Done Bookmakers, a one-store betting operation established by Fred and Peter Done in Salford, Manchester. Today Betfred, which was rebranded with this name in 2004, is the largest independent betting shop on the UK High Street and has more than 900 shops.
This bookmaker is known for its bonuses and wide range of promotions, such as free bets and cashback offers for horse racing, football, darts, cricket, rugby and more. They also have betting options for TV shows like “Strictly Come Dancing” and “X-Factor”. Their online site has Casino, Live Casino, Poker, Bingo and Games, and is seen as one of the best online gambling websites.
Always trying to improve its customer satisfaction with new bonuses and bets, Betfred pioneered the Goals Galore coupon and has championed the Lucky 15/31/63 bets for years. Betfred’s latest coupon is the 30-Minute-Limit coupon which offers punters the ability to predict the matches that they think will have a goal in the first half hour of the game.
As far as mobile betting, Betfred Mobile offers an extensive service not seen by other bookmakers in the world. Customers can access the bingo jackpots and prizes available online, as well as having access to the casino and sports.
Recently, Betfred has rebranded its image and invested quite a bit in horse and greyhound racing, which has made it a larger and more popular bookmaker. It is now the 4th biggest betting operator in the UK, with ties to dog tracks in Sheffield, Kinsley and Nottingham, as well as the world famous Cheltenham Gold Cup steeplechase.
And with Fred Done, the co-founder of Betfred and creator of the Lucky 15, as the head of operations, Betfred has expanded to having more than 1,500 UK betting shops on top of its successful digital betting platform. With their ever-increasing number of customers, and innovative promotions, Betfred is the fastest growing bookmaker in the UK.
- Minimum stake: 10p
- Maximum payout limit: £100,000-£1 million
Some bookies only require a 1p minimum stake, but Betfred’s 10p is quite reasonable. For maximum payout for horse racing and football, the company is similar to other bookmakers, with a payout up to £1 million. For other sports, such as boxing and tennis, the maximum limit is only £100,000, whereas other bookies offer up to £250,000 per bet.
Betfred Betting Offers
Along with a great welcome bonus, Betfred also offers a number of excellent promotions for a variety of sports. Fred Done, co-founder and head of operations, is known as the “Bonus King,” which can be seen in the number of new and ongoing offers.
- Welcome Bonus: After registering and making a deposit of £10, new players receive £30 in free bets. This offer is made even better by the fact that players can use the amount in whatever way they want, including varying the stake and using it for multiple events, which makes it unique compared to other bookmakers. *Odds must be more than 2.0 and free bet expires in 7 days.
- Super Bonus Races: Betfred will pay a bonus on top of player’s winnings if they choose a fully correct Lucky 15/31/63 Canadian, Heinz or Yankee using the bookmaker’s listed six Super Bonus Races.
- Football Double Delight/ Hat-trick heaven:If a player’s winning first goal for the game scores a second goal, Betfred doubles the odds. If there is a third goal, Betfred trebles the odds. Betfred also offers the same first goal double for Rugby.
- 2nd to SP Fave: If a player backs a horse and it finishes second to the SP favourite in the selected race, Betfred will refund the player for their stake with a free bet of up to £25.
- Horses Best Odds Guaranteed: Players who take an earlier price for their selection can get paid out at the higher price if the SP returned is bigger. This offer is also available for the greyhound races offered live on Sky Sports.
- Super League Prize Draw:Players who bet on the Rugby Super League are entered into a VIP Prize Draw to win an experience at the Betfred Super League Grand Final, as well as an entry to win a monthly price of £1,000 cash.
How to Get the Bonus on Betfred
- Click on ‘Claim Now’
- Register as new customer
- Type in “BETFRED40a” as Promo Code
- Bet at least £10 on chosen sport (with minimum 2.0 odds)
- Account will receive a £30 Free Bet credit
*May take up to 48 hours for credit to be added to account
Betfred Odds and Markets
Betfred’s amount of sporting coverage is not as large as their rivals, but they cover many of the sports for the UK and Irish markets. In these markets, they do cover a decent range for events, though they can’t quite compare to a bookie like bet365.
The bookmaker’s betting odds are competitive with others, but their horse racing and football odds don’t quite make it as top of the market.
- Live streaming
- In-play betting
- Cash out
- Decent banking methods for deposits/withdrawals
- Football Analyzer for statistics
- Interactive cards for horse racing
- Live commentary for many sports, including horse racing and football
Why choose Betfred
Because Betfred has focused on the UK and Irish markets, their coverage of domestic sports is quite good, even though they lack coverage for other countries.
Always looking to improve and add new promotions, they bring customers in with a great bonus offer, and keep customer loyalty with numerous free bets. For a locally focused bookmaker, Betfred’s ongoing promotions can outcompete even the top bookies.
They have a decent website and their mobile and live streaming services are seen as some of the best available. The mobile site is impressive with its user-friendly operation and great graphics. They offer the same deposit options for their mobile site as on the desktop website. Live customer service is also available on the app, making it easy to bet and receive assistance on the go.
Because of their interest in horse racing, Betfred has over 60 local and international competitions to offer during the busy racing season. They also have over 30 UK markets for greyhound racing. In comparison with other UK bookmakers, Betfred definitely takes their sponsorship in these areas more seriously, which has lead to how much they have to offer.
FAQs Section: Betfred’s website offers an extensive FAQs section for answers to most issues and common questions. There are separate categories so it’s quick and easy to find answers for any troubleshooting. The bookmaker also offers “Bet Type” and “Betting Glossary” pages to explain betting terms that newer players may find useful when starting out in the sports betting world.
Forms and Stats: Under the Stats link there is an interactive race card with tips, results and trends. This section also includes basic stats for golf, cricket and football.
Horse Racing: Betfred is well known for their markets and large number of punting options for horse racing. They feature the Betfred Cheltenham Festival, as well as the Betfred Grand National. Each features great odds, numerous live-streamed races and promotions. The Betfred Cheltenham Festival offers to-the-second coverage of the action for all races, as well as a great welcome bonus. The Betfred Grand National has numerous betting options, including place bets, the famous win and number of finishers. They also offer several free bets for one-winner bonus promos and 2nd to SP favourite bonuses.
Audio: For all football and cricket matches, as well as all UK and Irish horse and greyhound races, Betfred offers live audio commentary. The bookie also provides video and audio news features in their Betting News section.
VIP: Betfred’s VIP Club offers numerous rewards, including: first class entertainment, specific VIP promotions, up to 15% cash back every week, an individual account team providing quicker withdrawals on player’s bumper winnings, birthday bonuses, and exclusive invites to VIP events.
*To become a VIP member, a deposit/purchase of only £100 in a week is needed
Who owns Betfred?
Founded in 1967 by Fred and Peter Done, the first Done Bookmakers shop was financed after the brothers won a bet placed during the 1966 World Cup for England to take the win.
Though they steadily increased in size, the acquisition of the Robert Walker bookmaker chain in 1997 started the growth of their company to what it is today. By 2002 they had over 200 shops and were able to open their first shop in Greater London.
In 2004 Done Bookmakers rebranded their name to Betfred, as well as launching their online website Betfred.com which allowed them to offer online casino, poker, games, sports, bingo and lotto. In 2013 the bookmaker started the first-of-its-kind Betfred TV, an in-house channel offered in all high street shops as well as on the racecourse.
Today Betfred.com is operated by Petfre (Gibraltar) Limited, with Fred Done as the head of operations. The bookmaker has over 1,500 licensed shops in the UK.
How do I place a bet on Betfred?
Betfred offers a very easy bet placement process:
- Choose desired market to place bet in
- Enter stake in empty box
- The selection will now show up on the bet slip
- Confirm bet by clicking on “Place Bets”
How long do Betfred take to pay out?
Most pay outs are done within 48 hours but may take longer to show up in customer’s accounts, depending on their banking method.
- Credit/Debit Cards: Betfred processes in 48 hours; may take 2-5 business days to appear in account.
- Skrill/Paypal/Neteller: Withdrawals clear in a few hours; make take 48 hours to process and appear in account.
Does Betfred give free bets?
Yes, Betfred offers a generous welcome offer as well as a number of other promotions to entice players to continue using the bookmaker. On top of the £30 welcome bonus, Betfred also has bet refunds, odds guarantees for horse and greyhound racing and a number of winning bonuses. Betfred’s free bets and bonus offers are one of the best features of this bookmaker, and make it a major contender in comparison with what other bookies offer.
Betfred Mobile App Review
Betfred’s Sports Betting app is easy to use, with quick and simple betting in place. The app has the same performance as the website, offering live streaming, in-play betting and cash out. The bookmaker has improved the animations, stats and graphics for the app, making it a great experience for anyone on the go.
*To access the live stream option through mobile, players need to bet £1+ on their chosen event.
“4.5 stars. With a strong emphasis on UK and Irish markets, Betfred is a good option for those who like to stick to the tried and tested in betting… there’s a great range of Betfred free bets always on offer (including a generous Betfred new customer offer) so that, along with a decent all-round site, ensures that the Betfred review gets a high rating from us.” freebets.com
Betfred Customer Service Review
Betfred.com connects players to their Help Centre on every page, as well as offering their outstanding FAQs and new players help sections.
Players in the UK can call 24/7 free of charge. There are also a number of different emails for players to get fast responses to specific problems they may encounter. Also available is a live chat customer service option.
“8/10. The different help sections are clearly divided into separate categories so that locating the correct answer to your troubleshooting issue is often quick and stress free… Adding to this, Betfred customers have the opportunity to utilize the extremely useful live chat customer service.” bestbettingsites.uk